Sunday, August 25, 2013

Diary of a Plein Air Painter #24

Lily Grandeur, 8x8in. Oil on linen/panel. Available 

Available Here

(I have included my written reflection below and my diary entry both written on location.  My written  reflection is attached to the back of this painting.)


Lily Grandeur

I have come to my parents beautiful flower gardens to paint this morning. Everywhere one turns is a scene waiting to be captured on canvas. Little nooks and crannies are bursting with color and cheer. Blooms have been lovingly tended creating a floral show of grandeur. 

The lilies have stolen the show with their exquisite color and size. They dominant the garden with a splash of color that will be short lived. Soon the wind and rain will carry their large petals upon a breeze allowing them to soar to new heights. There is no time for sadness regarding their demise, as they have been eternalized in paint. I smile knowing that next summer they will once again reign within the garden...if only for a short while. 

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald





July 16 and 19, 2013
Fraser's Mountain, Nova Scotia


Painted in my parent's flower garden in two plein air sessions

My set up and painting in progress.


I have come to my parent's beautiful flower gardens to complete my plein air painting I began 3 days ago. It is predicted to be a hot day with record breaking temperatures. I must work quickly before the light shifts and my shady spot is overcome with intense sunlight and heat. 


My subject---fell in love with these giant lilies!


The lilies won as my subject as they presented themselves in a grand manner. Their exquisite color and height make them a real show stopper. I love the bird feeder nestled in alongside them and how it catches the morning light. 


Some of my favorite roses in my parents' gardens. 

I decided to mute the siding on the house as I didn't want it to be a focal point. I wanted the subject before it to take center stage. I think it seems to work this way. I would have found it too contrived if I made the siding really distinctive.


... and the gardens continue to bring inspiration.


After I finished painting I had lunch on the back doorstep with my parents. We shared a few belly laughs and enjoyed a pleasant breeze on this hot day. I admire my parents' pride and tenacity as they continue to be care takers for their gardens. Mom in her early seventies and dad in his early eighties are true inspiration. They create belief that it is possible to be blessed in this way as well.

Warmly,

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald

P.S. During my painting sessions I had to move all my gear many times in order to stay in the shade. The sunlight was ignoring my presence and continued to flood the area where I was sitting. lol

P.P.S. The lilies had changed on my second sessions, some had lost many petals during our bouts of wind in previous days. I was really happy I had finished painting them on my first session. Continual change is always a given in nature!




I presently have a few auctions running on DPW. You can visit my shop page for links to each auction. Thanks for looking!

Quick Links:




Imagekind --for reproductions
Fine Art America--for reproductions


Newsletter sign up--- My  Recent Newsletter 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Comments