Thursday, August 08, 2013

Diary of a Plein Air Painter #23

"A Touch of  Elegance" 7x5in. Oil on linen/panel.

Available Here


A Touch of Elegance

"Basking in summer sunlight, wild roses add a touch of elegance."

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald



July 12, 2013
Plymouth, Nova Scotia.

3:30-7:00 p.m.

It was a beautiful day with comfortable temperatures. I was feeling especially productive today as I completed all my domestic chores. My house was looking tidy and sparkly clean. It was time to pull out my paints and be creative.

I wanted to stay close to home, so I decided to paint a still life in natural light on my back doorstep. Wild roses were on my mind. They would not last much longer and I knew where a beautiful patch lived not far from my home. So I got all my materials, easel etc. set up before I drove to the rose patch to get clippings.

 My subject --Wild Roses 

I was feeling proud of myself on how organized I was: getting set up before I left, filling a small jar with water and even taking a glass of water and scissors with me for my clippings. When I arrived on site I was delighted to see a beautiful patch of roses. Just as I was about to wander into the bushes, I looked down at my feet and realized I had worn my flip flops instead of sneakers! So much for being totally organized. Wink, Wink. Flip flops were not the best footwear for treading amongst rose bushes. At any rate, I did manage to retrieve a few nice clippings.

In Progress

Once I had my clippings in my jar, all was a go. I had the green light and began my painting session. I wanted to create a bit of a dreamy feel, thus I took care to not use too many hard edges. I loved the rose colors, lighting and the shadow cast on the table top. It was getting late in the day, so I knew my light would be changing soon. In the end I did have to rely on visual memory. By the time I was finished painting, the evening was upon me and the light had definitely changed. 

Warmly,
Debbie

P.S. The bottle I used in my still life was saved from a small jar of apple/raspberry jelly I gave my son for Christmas in his stocking. When I was washing it I thought it would make a great prop for still life set ups. I cheerfully added it to my still life collection. Still life artists are always on the hunt for items they think might come to life in paint someday!

P.P.S. Painting outside is so refreshing--not only is the light beautiful, but the sounds of nature are very soothing.


Quick Links:


Imagekind --for reproductions
Fine Art America--for reproductions


Newsletter sign up--- My  Recent Newsletter 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Comments